10 October 2019
Report from Academy of Dental Materials annual meeting 2019
Jackson Hole (Wyoming, USA) hosted the annual meeting of the Academy of Dental Materials (ADM) in the first week of October, entitled: "Materials to Enable the Evolution/Revolution of Digital Dentistry".
Dentistry33 was present.
Among the topics dealt with is that of digital dentistry which, thanks to the reports of the authoritative speakers present, has been gutted in its various forms. Below are summarized the most salient points of some speakers of the Congress that most intrigued us.
Diane Rekow (NYU/King’s College London) in her lecture showed the new state of art of digital dentistry and the digital applications fields:
- patient interaction: consulation, shared treatment, decisions, which healthy behaviors the patients should adopt
- CAD/CAM: restorations, surgery guides and practice models, tissue scaffolds
- clinical activities: interprofessional consultations, treatment plans, robot assisted treatments, clinical research
- education: distance learning, haptics and simulation robots
- other enabled activities: forensics, epidemiology, clinical and practice based research.
Bart Vandenberghe (Advimago, Center for Advanced Oral Imaging, Brussels) in his lecture dealt with the crucial role of imaging, in particular CBCT, in which three-dimensional solutions, for diagnostic tests, will be increasingly used in the future as an analysis tool in all fields of dentistry. In particular, He shows how important it is to have clear and correct 3D images with the right choice of voxels, because this is the only way to make a correct diagnosis.
Steven Sadowsky (University of The Pacific) in his lecture showed the importance of zirconia in Implant Prosthodontics. In particular he has deepened:
- The importance of zirconia implants highlighting: as these allow angles abutments and abutments for overdentures; showed morphologies that would be preferable when initial stability is not optimal; as these allow more latitude with bony constraints/augmentation and allow abutment replacement.
- Zirconia abutments highlighting: at 5/7 years the abutments for zirconium implants with titanium base have obtained biological and mechanical results similar to those in titanium with improved aesthetics; a limitation of this project remains in patients with high applied forces or in the scenarios of platform switching
Christopher Bowman (University of Colorado) – in his lecture dealt with the "Dynamic Covalent Networks in Dental Polymer". He showed that implementation of dynamic covalent chemistry in dental and other materials represents a powerful approach to identify and control polymer properties. Control is possibile of: type of reaction, on/off trigger, timescale od reactions, implementation relative to the lifestyle of the material.
Next "Academy Dental Materials annual meeting" will be in Dublin on October 2020. Stay tuned!!!
Jeff Stasbury, current President of "Academy of Dental Materials"
ADM 2019, Jackson Hole (WY, USA)
During these times in which all the world is asked to wear masks, we truly understand how much our smile is important. Smiling to give a good impression to the person we’re just introduced to,...
Dear Colleagues,December 2020 marks the end of a very unexpected and difficult year for the entire planet. Covid-19 pandemic literally modified our lives and our habits starting from the very...
At the end of the day, we'd like to think that all the treatments we have offered our patients are the best possible. Dentists make efforts to enhance their knowledge, tirelessly studying and...
In the last century, academic journals have played an essential role in the divulgation and preservation of knowledge as well as in giving recognition to the work of researchers. However, in the last...
Dear readers, Summer 2020 is definitely a strange and, under certain aspects, never existing season for our planet. The recent notorious burst of...
USA 18 June 2021 - 30 November 0001
ADHA Annual Conference 2021
June 18-20, 2021. Phoenix, Arizona.
As the largest event dedicated to dental hygienists, this meeting is just for you!
The treatment of palatal displaced canines (PDCs) is one of the most challenging treatments in orthodontic dental care. The invasive and long-lasting treatment often requires interceptive extraction...
Recorded webinar - Oral Surgery - Prof. Testori
Sinus elevation surgery has become a sought-after part of implant dentistry. Procedures have evolved over the last 25 years to a point where sinus grafting surgery is considered one of the most...
Dental billing platform company, Vyne Dental, has acquired patient communications company, Operability, LLC. The acquisition also includes Operability’s OperaDDS platform, which launched in 2011 to...
Authors: Monica Giani, Umberto Pagliaro, Lorenzo Franchi, Roberto Rotundo, Michele Nieri
Purpose. The aim of this randomized clinical trial with blinded examiner was to compare the efficacy of four different methods of enhancing oral hygiene motivation in: (i) reducing the full-mouth...